FUN & TRIVIA
FUN & TRIVIA
[?] Subscribe To This Site
Please subscribe here to our newsletter to sniff out the latest doggy news
WHAT EVERY DOG OWNER SHOULD NOW
We read about accidental dog poisoning every day that could have been easily avoided. Dogs are naturally curious and enjoy exploring. Responsible dog ownership means keeping our dogs safe.
We need to be vigilant and prevent our dogs from coming into contact with poisonous chemicals, contaminated food and toxic plants. Even household cleaning products bleaches, detergents can be toxic. Insecticides, fertilizers, rat and rodent poisons are highly toxic to dogs and in some cases can cause death.
Here are a few things that can be found around your home during the holidays that can be toxic or even fatal to your pets: chocolate, cakes, candy, alcohol, tinsel, potpourri, holly berries, ivy, mistletoe, chemical tree life extenders, anti freeze solutions, pine needles and sap.
List of Plants that are Toxic for Dogs
Lots of us enjoy gardening and owning a dog. Do a check of your garden. This is a list of some of the toxic plants to dogs which you should keep away from your dog.
Certain Food can cause Dog Poisoning
Keep your pet safe from bacterial food poisoning by feeding your dog fresh food. Just like we wouldn't eat anything past it's use by date, we shouldn't feed it to our dogs.
Some mushrooms are poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. If they grow on your lawn, the safest option is to remove them altogether.
Tea and coffee which contains caffeine should never be given to your dog as it can affect the central nervous system and increase urination.
Additionally some of the food we enjoy can be toxic to our dogs. Did you know one of our favourite foods, chocolate which contains theobromine, is toxic to dogs and could cause muscle twitching, hyperactivity, seizures and even death. You could be killing your dog with kindness!
In our dog food comparison guide we give free advice and tips on what to feed your dog.
What to do in an Emergency
Always keep the emergency telephone number of your Veterinary Surgery somewhere handy. We keep numbers of Emergency Services on the fridge door and in our mobile phones just in case. It is one less thing to have to think of in a stressful situation.
Give the following information
- Give your name and phone number
- Give the vet the name and breed of your dog
- Explain what your dog has ingested, if known, and how much
- How much time has elapsed
- Explain the symptoms your dog is showing
If your dog has vomited, take a sample to the vet. Every piece of information may save the life of your dog. Even if you don't know what has poisoned your dog your vet should be able provide treatment.
Some Vets may come straight out to your home but be ready to take your dog to the Vet where they will have everything on hand to treat your dog.
Lastly take a good look around your home and garden. Ensure your home and garden is dog friendly and that offending items are locked away out of harms way.
Want to know what drives this